Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Stimulated Patient

"When you choose to skip classes, you should at least make the effort to ask a friend what happened in class, because most of the time, important things happen! If you don't ask, you won't know and so, you have only yourself to blame."

We nominated..
We voted...
We announced the winners today!

Twas Awards Day where we gave out awards to 30 different categories such as Best Smile, Most Ah Lian, Pink Freak and etc.
I, for one, would like to thank the bunch of batchmates who voted for me as Most Dependable.

Also, KUDOS to the people involved in organising the Awards Day.


Today was also the day where I needed to act.
The scenario was that I was a pharmacist and this angry patient comes to see me, scolding me about the wrong drug dosage given, which also differed from what was written on the prescription label.
I failed big time. Many things were running through my mind.

I, the pharmacist says sorry.
But, obviously the patient was not satisfied.
Whatmore when I had a dramatic patient,
who then presses the issue further by saying she will sue me...

And I make her shoot more bullets to my chest (and my brain) for smiling.
"The way you are smiling I dont believe you are genuine when you say you are sorry.."
Zzzz.. in a way, I wasn't sorry because in reality, I DID NOTHING WRONG.
lol

But yea, like I said earlier, I can't act.
Besides that, my mind was sort of on the defensive mode.
I was thinking of ways to not only calm the angry patient, but also to convince the patient that it really was an accident..

Then the patient goes...
"What kind of pharmacist are you?"
"How long have you been a pharmacist?"
"How can you not see the difference in the colour of the drug?"

My mind was like a chess game thinking of STRATEGIES to DEFEND myself because I was being ATTACKED.
Unfortunately, my mind was blank. Thankfully I have never dreamt of becoming a lawyer;)

In the end, I gave up. Raised the white flag because I couldn't stop smiling.
Simple enough, the solution to the scenario was to tell the patient that it was the pharmacy assistant who did the filling, not me, and also, to offer the patient an immediate medical checkup.

Me smiling definitely allowed her to push more of my buttons.
Poor defense, and NO strategy
Hence..
CHECKMATE!

1 comment:

Hazwan Samian said...

congrats for winning.. you r a very dependable person.. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...